For those of you who aren’t familiar, I wanted to share a little more information about what you are signing up for…
Startup Weekends are…
Startup Weekends are 54-hour events designed to provide superior experiential education for technical and non-technical entrepreneurs. The weekend events are centered on action, innovation, and education. Beginning with Friday night pitches and continuing through testing, business model development, and basic prototype creation, Startup Weekends culminate in Sunday night demos to a panel of potential investors and local entrepreneurs. Participants are challenged with building functional startups during the event and are able to collaborate with like-minded individuals outside of their daily networks.
Who you’ll meet at Startup Weekend:
Startup Weekends attendees’ backgrounds are roughly 50% technical (developers, coders, designers) and 50% business (marketing, finance, law). Twenty nine percent of Startup Weekend participants attend an event to network, 20% attend to develop/build a product, and 13% attend to learn how to create a new venture. Roughly 80% of attendees plan on continuing to work on their startup after the weekend.
What you’ll get out of the event:
- Education: Startup Weekends are all about learning by doing, whether you’re learning a new skill or a new way of thinking. Don’t just listen to theory, build your own strategy and test it as you go.
- Co-Founder Dating: The people who come to Startup Weekend are serious about learning how to build and launch startups. Create relationships that last long past the weekend.
- Build Your Network: Startup Weekend works hard to recruit high quality, driven entrepreneurs- like you!
- Learn New Skills: With a whole weekend dedicated to letting your creative juices flow, Startup Weekends are prefect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language, or give marketing a try. With nothing to lose there’s no reason not to step outside your comfort zone.
- Learn How to Launch a Business (and Actually Do It!): Startup Weekend is the epitome of Lean Startup Methodology.
- Mentorship: Local tech and startup leaders participate in Startup Weekends and give feedback to participants. Interact with the movers and shakers in your community.
- Get Access to Valuable Startup Resources: By participating in Startup Weekend you are given instant access to great products and tools. No one leaves Startup Weekend empty handed!
- Save Money: Startup Weekends are affordable (typically $99, only $60 for students). Your ticket includes seven meals, snacks, and all the coffee you can drink!